Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mga Kabayan, Meet Elmer M. Borlongan aka fotobumbong, our 30th Photographer of the Week!

" Dreamer "

dreamer

About the winning photo:

I entered our bedroom and saw my nephew, David, sleeping on the couch. I, immediately, took this shot with the wonderful morning light passing through the small window. I later converted the photo from its original color to black and white in Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Camera: Canon Powershot A80
Focal length: 24mm
Shutter Speed: 1/20sec
Aperture: f2.8
ISO: 400

======================

Portrait of my hubby
Elmer M. Borlongan aka fotobumbong

My name is Elmer Borlongan. Friends call me "Emong". I'm a full-time painter living in the Philippines. I grew up in Mandaluyong City. My wife and I decided to move to San Antonio, Zambales to concentrate in our artmaking.

I bought a Nikon FE2 film camera in college. My purpose was to document my paintings and take snapshots for the family album. Fine art photography was not in my mind back then. Eventually, I had to set it aside because it's expensive to buy films and develop prints. Turning digital has rekindled my interest in shooting again.

I have a Canon Powershot A80, Rolleiflex MiniDigi toy camera and a Canon EOS 20D. I replaced the 18-55 kit lens with a Sigma 18-200 mm f/3.5-6.3 DC lens alternating with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II.

My source of inspiration are my flickr contacts whose photostreams I often visit. I study their techniques and composition on how they capture different subjects. The Filipino photographers whose works I admire are Sonny Yabao and Nico Sepe.

I shoot portraits, nature and objects. I would love to do documentary photography and maybe focus on photo essays that has to do with the environment.

Photography will always be part of my visual expression. This is a lifelong learning experience for me. I would love to continue sharing my images and help create an appreciation for our heritage and natural resources of our country. I hope to travel and do photo walks in different countries or explore and shoot all the islands of the Philippines.


Three Photographs I like:

here comes the gardener

While walking in a farm in Zambales, I saw this gardener burning dry leaves under a mango tree. The sun was setting and suddenly light rays came out between the branches. The smoke helped a lot to emphasize the rays. It made an incredible sight and I had to capture it. I was so happy with my dream shot.

--------------------------

driveway

I was standing in a parking area inside Megamall in Mandaluyong when I saw the skylight and driveway produced a beautiful abstract image right before me. The car passing by produced a sense of space and directional lines in the background.

--------------------------

u2 boy

I asked my five year old nephew Ani to hold an early U2 album in front of his face. Good thing he agreed to do the shoot and was game for it.

*****************
Written by Elmer M. Borlongan aka fotobumbong

No comments: